PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Plane crash near Basingstoke UK
View Single Post
Old 10th Jan 2015, 18:23
Mechta

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
On the first one, in a Tiger Moth, I certainly had to carry out a precautionary landing as part of my test. I hated doing them in the Tiger because you had to fly very close to the stall, with the nose well up so you couldn't see anything, and I never felt confident enough to do that without an instructor. I do remember that it was a frosty morning and, when I looked back after my landing the tail skid marks were satisfyingly close to the hedge.
That sounds contrary to what I have been taught, albeit in gliders. By coming in slow you are all set up to stall in the wind gradient and end up in a very bent aeroplane. If you come in a bit faster, you won't stall, but you may end up in the hedge at the other end, walking away from a repairable aeroplane. If the former is what they are teaching power pilots, no wonder so many make a hash of dead stick landings.

Even if you are power on, coming in slowly at a high angle of attack and suddenly applying full power could potentially cause to to flick if you came out of a gust and a tip stalled.