PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - GA ADS-B Trial in Southern England
View Single Post
Old 9th Jan 2015, 19:23
creweite

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rod1
I am glad to hear that LAA is taking an active part in this new technology, we have come a long way since the early days of the PFA!

I am not familiar with PowerFlarm, but from your post it appears able to detect ADS-B. but can PowerFlarm be detected by ADS-B? If not, then it would appear to create a conflict, you can see me on your screen, but I can't see you on mine.

PowerFlarm appears to have a lot going for it, not the least of which is a moderate cost compared to the installation of ADS-B out mandated by the FAA for 2020 for folks like me that operate in Class C airspace.

Perhaps I should elaborate a little on my experience with ADS-B in. The software on my tablet gives me target location, height, direction of flight and speed, even aircraft registration if that is the a target with ADS-B out. The problem of course is that an aircraft half a mile away presents a very small angle of view and may be hard to see. Add to that some of the odd things that I have experienced, which could not be explained by ghosting. Flying on a northerly heading, a target was shown several miles ahead of me on my track line and heading east, three hundred feet below me. No problem, it will be gone by the time I get there. But it did not move, stayed on my track line as I closed on it and flew over it. The software turned the target red as a warning, but there was nothing there! So a software glitch somewhere I imagine.

As an engineer I am enthused about new electronic developments, spent almost as much as my aircraft cost to install a Garmin GTN650 and can see another investment of that size for ADS-B out in the not too distant future!