PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Plane crash near Basingstoke UK
View Single Post
Old 9th Jan 2015, 18:39
ShyTorque

Avoid imitations

Location: Wandering the FIR and cyberspace often at highly unsociable times
Received 419 Likes on 221 Posts
Precautionary landing is definitely still part of the syllabus, at least in the UK.
I'm quite surprised that there's any experienced pilots in the UK who are not aware of that?!
I learned to fly SEP 42 years ago and I remember it well enough even though I haven't flown any fixed wing for a decade. Maybe it depends how you were taught and how much it was emphasised at the time.

I also recall how the Cessna 150 with the old type of flap switch (3 position, centre loaded paddle switch) could craftily fully retract its flaps if you let go of the switch from the spring loaded "down" position. The centre detent was worn, so the the switch paddle could flick from "down" to "fully retract", rather than remaining at the centre "neutral" position.

The one I was flying did this to me as I came in over the hedge at Ipswich Airport for a practice short field landing. I'd selected full flap and let go of the switch, whereupon the flaps began to retract fully. I didn't realise what was happening and landed very short, probably the shortest "short field" landing I ever did. The aircraft stalled just over the hedge and I only just cleared it.