PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Plane crash near Basingstoke UK
View Single Post
Old 9th Jan 2015, 15:05
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm quite surprised that there's any experienced pilots in the UK who are not aware of that?!
Spannerinthewerks

As it is 30 years ago that I learnt to fly sorry if I cannot remember details of what was involved I obviously remember the PFLs and maybe there were precautionary landings but certainly not to the extent of PFLs and this is the real point I was making.
In gliding controlled landings off airfield are part of the course to such an extent that they are part of the mindset of the glider pilot.

A precautionary landing under power is really little different to any other landing under power albeit a slow short field approach where the big differenceEs comes into determining wind,landing area length , surface quality, slope, obstructions visible and invisible, visibility cloud base and so many other factors to a standard landing that you could almost put a great chunk of training over to that alone.

A quick 30 minutes with the instructor and at 500 feet ok go around is hardly in depth training but going through then motions to sign off precautionary landings! PLs should be taught to an extent that they become a mindset alternative for a pilot in trouble. The fact that they hardly register with me from 30 years back means they were jumbled in with PFLs just to sign off that they had been done
Now if I was a current instructor who did not know you would be justified in your comment but I am not

Pace

Last edited by Pace; 9th Jan 2015 at 18:01.