PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CASA $1,000 Useless Compass Check
View Single Post
Old 9th Jan 2015, 09:48
thunderbird five

Received 57 Likes on 21 Posts
I just report the facts.
Fact 1: "Compass" does not get a mention in CAO 100.5. This CAO is where all other instrument checks get a mention.
Fact 2. CAO 108.6 regarding compass calibration was repealed (cancelled) in 2007.
Civil Aviation Order 108.6 Repeal Order 2007
which says "The Order is repealed as it is no longer required."
Fact 3. AWB 34-008 came in in 2007 and, while describing in good detail, what a compass calibration should be, is not a regulation or an order, it is advisory.
Fact 4 to support fact 3:
Civil Aviation Safety Authority - Airworthiness bulletins
An Airworthiness Bulletin (AWB) is issued to inform the aviation public, in a systematic way, of essential information not considered mandatory.

So CASA deliberately moved compass checks from mandatory to advisory, in 2007.

I'd suggest if any maintenance facility, or anyone for that matter, is stating categorically that something is mandatory, that's fine, just politely ask them to educate you, and show you where it says that in the regs. (Then go check if that reg still exists!)

My point is, don't believe everything you are told, just because it was told by a well respected party. Pop over to comlaw and check the facts, they are all there, gratis.
Some time back, I saw in a LAMEs field note book, CAO 108.6. I had to advise him that his notes were stale, as I knew 108.6 had gone long ago. He did not know this. I sent him all the info, and he was grateful.

To close, I don't make the lemonade, I just sell it.