PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Please, someone in Perth gaffa-tape GT!
View Single Post
Old 7th Jan 2015, 16:38
Virtually There

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Touché.

As someone who has sat on both sides of the fence, the level of ignorance displayed on these boards about how the media works is astounding.

Indeed, I would go so far as to say the majority of people posting here understand the media industry even less than the mainstream media understands aviation.

The biggest difference is the fact that the only people reading this are a bunch of bored pilots and plane-spotters, whereas someone like GT probably has a readership of tens, if not hundreds of thousands each time he writes an article.

The general public doesn't even know pprune exists.

Yet you all rely on the media for your source of local and world events each day, don't you? Or do you all have crystal balls?

Because many of you don't have real balls, that's for sure.

I don't do media stuff now, because I have no need to and because the media is a whore who will use your time, expertise and effort for it's own reward. I have seen enough to know that my time could be better spent doing things I enjoy.
If none of you are prepared to put your money where your collective mouths are - to step up and nurture contacts with journos so you can be Johnny-on-the-spot when the need arises (and most importantly, put your real name and credentials on the record) - then you're all just pissing in the wind.

Because no-one important is reading this.

So if you think you can do a better job, then do it. But don't complain about it if all you're going to do is sling arrows from the eaves and belittle others for their difference of opinion.

And the first person who accuses me of being GT is a bloody idiot. Journalism 101: do your research - baseless accusations will get you sued for defamation in the real world. Which - I dare say - is why some of you would never make it in journalism.

Professional Pilots Rumour Network indeed! Where the fark is the apostrophe?