PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Asia Indonesia Lost Contact from Surabaya to Singapore
Old 6th Jan 2015, 04:11
Cool Guys

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Automation

I am far from being an air accident expert but I have not seen any statistical evidence to suggest that automation/FBW/control laws are the reason for the lowering airline accident rate. There is a big difference in the automation levels between the A320 and 737 but a recent post showed their accident rates were exactly the same. I am sure there are many reasons for the favourable accident statistics including better aircraft design know how, increased regulation of the manufacturing processes and increased regulation of carriers however the contribution of automation seems to be over blown. I am sure automation has allowed considerably increased airline efficiency.

I have a career in developing complex automation systems in industry. There is good automation and bad automation. With the SW tools available it is very easy to develop many complex algorithms with many AND, OR and IF statements and it is very easy to over automate something. I can recall a few years ago an automated toilet door locking system in the Auckland airport. I could not figure it out how to lock the B__dy door (I don’t desire some one walking in while I am performing my business – I personally dont care but very embarrassing for the person walking in) and then I discovered there was an attendant standing by who was explaining how to operate this new automated toilet door locking mechanism – duh. The level of automation has to be appropriate for the skill/training level of the user. It is very easy to get disconnected from the users of the automation. Excessively complex automation can cause confusion. Anything excessively complex can cause confusion – basic stuff. I get confused when my wife tries to explain why she is grumpy – too complex for me. I have not had enough experience/training in female hormonal responses. No insult intended – just a fact. Most of the time these complex situations do not have a life threatening effect but as we have seen in the cockpit of both manufacturers’ products this is not always the case. I know pilots are ultimately responsible for getting confused and not performing the correct action but I maintain that excessively complex automation is a contributory factor.

Last edited by Cool Guys; 6th Jan 2015 at 04:46. Reason: fixed a gramatical error