PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Asia Indonesia Lost Contact from Surabaya to Singapore
Old 4th Jan 2015, 16:46
AfricanSkies
THUNDERTAILED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The machine has radar. It has multiple sensors and computers. When it sees that it is about to enter a turbulent zone as detected by radar, or indeed enters one, why can't it go into a 'Cautionary' mode where it will be anticipating conditions (large buffets, icing) and react accordingly, instead of not anticipating anything, flying along as if it is blind when it is in fact not, and blithely and stupidly sounding stall warnings when the airspeed drops by a ridiculous amount in an incredible time? If you're going to automate things, then automate them. Don't even display data that fails creditibility tests - it just confuses the pilots. Just pause the game, maintain thrust and attitude and display possible viable alternative data such as INS derived airspeed and AOA* to the pilots, remain engaged using such data but give the crew full unrestricted control if that data indicates flight outside its parameters. Do this until such time that conditions are such that credible data is again calculable, verified with the INS data, and only then display that data to the crew.

Its no use having the million dollar computer display rubbish to you.

*as the INS can describe a FPV then all the factors contributing to that vector can be calculated, even airspeed
(Please do educate me here if I'm incorrect, I'm just a pilot not an expert)