PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Please, someone in Perth gaffa-tape GT!
View Single Post
Old 4th Jan 2015, 13:21
FGD135

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arm,

His implication that an improved weather radar would have saved the flight is plain wrong – the flight crew were clearly aware of the storm cell in front of them, having requested a climb to avoid it, but would have been better off trying to go around rather than climb over a severe thunderstorm.
Plain wrong? How do you know this? Were you there in the cockpit?

"... would have been better off trying to go around ...". This is pure speculation on your part, given that you weren't there in the cockpit. And what makes you describe the thunderstorm as "severe" when you weren't there witnessing events? The reality is that nobody knows anything about the part the weather played. The weather *may* have been a factor - that is all we know.

You are guilty of the speculation of which you accuse Klan.

Was Klan's piece presented as opinion, or as a regular report? If it was titled "Storm detector might have saved doomed flight", then I would suggest it was opinion, in which case he has licence to speculate all he wants.

... updrafting air tends to increase airspeed, lessening the likelihood of a stall ...
If you look at a vector diagram of the resultant air flow when an updraft is suddenly added in, you will see that the wing is suddenly at a greater angle of attack. For this reason it is not unreasonable to say that a stall is a likely result.

Other clearly incorrect assertions from the article are that traffic collision and avoidance systems ‘automatically take over the controls of collision-bound planes’
. My understanding is that for some aircraft, the autopilot, if engaged, *will* fly the TCAS RA manoeuver. If my understanding is correct then your assertion is wrong, in which case you are guilty of the same inaccuracies of which you accuse Klan.

Mr Klan is not wrong in suggesting that flight through a severe storm led to the loss of this aircraft...
This statement makes it sound like you were there, in the cockpit, witnessing events. Were you there?

allthecoolnamesarego,

...you think it is ok for GT to keep telling half truths and spreading misinformation.
Could you please give some examples? I find it incredible that the only example I have seen presented in this thread is that he used the word can't when he should have used the word shouldn't.

I could find a dozen professional pilots tomorrow, who could do a better job than GT in every area of the media.
Rubbish. Complete and utter rubbish. A typical grossly exaggerated claim that anonymous bloggers make everyday on the internet.

Examples of the "half truths" and "misinformation" please.