PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: Replica Spitfire Gympie crash
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jan 2015, 23:13
spinex

Received 24 Likes on 9 Posts
I take it one would have to apply directly to the court for access to the coroner's report?

If the local paper has reported on the contents accurately and not just cherry picked a few extracts for the sake of a story, this seems to be yet another example of a coroner letting the technical issues slip through her fingers and instead prefer to find a smoking gun in a supposed inaccurate weight provided. Never mind establishing a factual basis between the overweight condition and the accident.

What they seemed to miss is that although there MAY have been some figure fudging to get the aircraft in under the RA Aus 600kg weight limit, the specs I have on the 80% scale aircraft state a MAUW of 810kg. Given that the aircraft doesn't know it has numbers instead of a VH rego, the extra 200kg is irrelevant. As for an engineer designing modifications without an actual W&B - I have my doubts if it was anything that would alter weight or controls.

Oh and UL, to support what Squawkie said, there is a lot more to the story re the other coroners report than what the odd bottom feeder would have you believe. Aside from anything else, there too the alleged inaccuracy had squat to do with the actual cause of the engine stoppage. For some reason an over developed sense of self importance is fairly common amongst those drawn to serve as coroners - the little tin god complex, a colleague who spends quite a bit of time there, calls it.