PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK SAR 2013 privatisation: the new thread
Old 1st Jan 2015, 20:30
angelonawire

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very amusing

Having experienced military SAR, HMCG SAR and O/G SAR. I find that having a browse of this thread now and again makes me giggle, a great deal of "willy swinging" and an entire new class of "sciolists" (a term that I was introduced to by an ex RAF colleague), very befitting of a great many posters on here.

Extract below taken from an Internet site well versed on the subject:

A sciolist is a person with a “smattering” knowledge who pretends to be an expert on some subject. Sciolists can be easily identified by their vociferous use of dazzling buzz words coupled with an ability to speak authoritatively and with conviction while at the same time not actually saying anything or providing information not already obvious.

Sciolism is a form of deceit which automatically engenders a level of paranoia and I suspect sciolists are natively insecure and therefore especially defensive/offensive lest they be found out. The attitude displays an enormous hubris in that sciolists presuppose their own life experiences are somehow more valuable to the discussion than the rest of the public. In fact, sciolists by intruding and inserting their shallow “expertise” into deeply complex issues have been and are potentially very damaging.

I wish you all well for 2015, please continue the "willy swinging" and re-inventing the SAR wheel......very entertaining

Last edited by angelonawire; 2nd Jan 2015 at 13:11.