PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Shares vs Hire
Thread: Shares vs Hire
View Single Post
Old 30th Dec 2014, 02:23
NeilUK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Guys,

Sorry for the delay, it seems I didn't get the email when you replied!

At the moment, since my instructor is part-time at the airfield I 'fly' two days a week - which at this time of year becomes one a month due to weather etc! My plan would be really to try and fly in an ideal world once a week. But when work, weather etc comes into it I think once a month would be more realistic.

I think it would be nice to mix it up a bit with the flying - mainly it would be do to some fun things like day trips away or maybe brave a cross-channel etc. I also have a relative in Glasgow which may be a fun trip.....though quite long in a PA28?!

I do a fair amount of meetings in places such as Essex, Kent etc which are a pain to drive to - so certainly would consider the possibility of flying......if the technicalities of doing that allow me not to need to extent my PPL to a CPL?

Perhaps I am looking at it the wrong way - but to me, if I had a share I could in theory pop over the channel on a Friday evening and come back on a Sunday afternoon despite as little as 4hrs flying? Where as I can imagine an Airfield will want to be seeing revenue, and not have the plane parked up on a Saturday while I'm sat in the swimming pool? Likewise with business meetings - if it takes all day to have a meeting but it's 1hr each way, the Airfield won't be too happy about their plane gone for the day and only getting 2hrs of flight time?

One attraction to me of sharing flights (either hiring or buying shares) is to see how someone more experiences flies in control and be able to watch how they deal with the unexpected etc!

Is the consensus generally that it it's better to take club aircraft once you've just passed and look at shares or when you have enough hours not to raise eyebrows at the insurers? What kind of hours does one need to have under their belt to keep the insurance reasonable?

Thanks!