PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Asia Indonesia Lost Contact from Surabaya to Singapore
Old 29th Dec 2014, 13:44
mixture

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They have over 1 gigabit/sec of capacity, so they are vastly over-provisioned for the initial intended use.
You're still ignoring the issue.

I don't give two hoots what someone's "provisioned capacity" is.

Even your beloved NASA TDRS doesn't have the SPARE capacity for live telemetry from all aircraft. So please, give it a rest !

Here, I'll even quote you a NASA 2014 report (IG-14-018) on the very subject, I have highlighted the key phrase :
The Agency retired two first-generation satellites (TDRSs 1 and 4) in 2009 and 2011, and the remaining four first-generation satellites still in orbit (TDRSs 3, 5, 6, and 7) are showing signs of age-related battery and electronics failures. NASA has predicted that without replacement satellites the Space Network will not have sufficient capacity to service customer missions adequately by 2016. Similarly, a 2013 Aerospace Corporation Study concluded that in order for the Space Network to continue to support anticipated communications, NASA may need to launch TDRS-M by 2016 and require an additional satellite in orbit by 2024.