PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Asia Indonesia Lost Contact from Surabaya to Singapore
Old 28th Dec 2014, 11:01
Jockster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All probes (pitot included) are permanently heated in flight The air / ground logic sees to that. There is a manual ON available on the ground but it does nothing in the air.

Alpha Prot is AoA driven but presented in relation to speed on the speed tape. The pilots will see the Prot band (amber and black) at the bottom of the speed tape and the RED overspeed at the top. Red beats amber hence pitch up to get out of the red. Turning off the ADRs gets rid of all erroneous speed indications whereupon the BUSS activates to show ONLY AoA fed from vane information which has a GREEN band (very comforting) when flying a safe AoA.

Even if no BUSS fitted on this aircraft, the power / attitude drill trumps everything and the aircraft will fly perfectly well. An FO colleague I flew with recently carries a small laminated card with him that he sticks by his PFD with all the power / attitude settings on them. I only remember the two settings to get me out of trouble but maybe not a bad idea as a permanent feature?