PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Handley Page Hastings
View Single Post
Old 26th Dec 2014, 19:02
patkinson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hastings nostalgia

I was an engine fitter having served at Colerne on 36sqdn and 48 at Changi...in 64-67..we used to accompany the a/c on flights across the far east which may involve several overnight stops thus groundcrew were necessary at times!!
One such trip took me to Tachikawa which was a follow up to an earlier mission..which we flew to HK ,onto Naha then to Tachikawa..a great trip especially passing Mt Fuji was very picturesque..shame I lost the photograph!
at Naha which had an enormously long flightline our Hastings was parked among a load of US military a/c of all types ..a jeep which was passing along the flightline suddenly stopped and an young USAF captain jumped out and said what in the 'goddam name' is this airplane! I said it was a RAF Handley Page Hasting ..which increased his knowledge tremendously!
The previous mission was grounded for a while and had to have a fuel tank change which when we arrived I hope we would get the same problem..it was not to be but we had a great time and were well looked after by the Yanks!
Rgds

Patkinson