PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Holiday cheer from your Medical Department
Old 25th Dec 2014, 08:07
The Outlaw

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Its akin to going to Shawshank prison.

HADLEY: "Turn to the right, face the warden."

WARDEN: You are all convicted pilots, thats why they have sent you to me. Rule number 1...no blasphemy, I will not have the company's name taken in vain...the rest of the rules you'll figure out when we change them or make them up...Questions?"

NEW HIRE: When do we eat?"

HADLEY: "You eat when we say you eat, you **** when we say you ****, you piss when we say you piss, you'll live where we say you'll live, you'll drink how much we say you'll drink...you got that you %$@(&!*^ ?? (PUNCHES NEW HIRE IN THE GUT)

WARDEN: I believe in two things, discipline and more discipline, here you'll receive both. Put your trust in the OMA, your ass belongs to me....welcome to the company".

Actually the whole movie is full of comparisons. Sure, you'll try to fight it for the first few years then after some time you become institutionalized unless you can escape though the pipe to freedom!

All kidding aside, it IS a huge intrusion in your personal life, just like the forced moves...you have no little or no control in your private life, the company always has the final say. They even had pictures in the buses showing pictures of urine filled beakers showing what the pee of a dehydrated person looks like. What mind comes up with this? Many more examples like this. I expect this latest "gem" was born out of a few pilots with an addiction who caused an operational disruption, so of course this is the solution put forward by the GCAA (who probably got their advice from an unmentioned clinic) is to put control on alcohol intake, watch this space...this is the first step to a total ban. Remember where you live and who you work for.

The world is full of wide eyed and un-enlightened pilots with beliefs of grandeur who have not yet realized the challenges such a move entails. Marriages fail, bad investments, spoilt children, absolute control...etc etc.

Call it a warning to those from the outside looking in and an incentive to those inside looking out.