PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jabiru engine failures
View Single Post
Old 20th Dec 2014, 09:32
Oracle1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Watered Down

These restrictions are far less draconian than originally planned and maintain the ethos of light sport aviation, eg I fly at less cost but I accept the risk.

Flying above populous areas only if you can glide clear, Day VFR, etc are all standard existing rules in RAA.

Informing a prospective student gives them a cue to make an assessment of the risks, and is really just a paper shuffling exercise. Forced landing practice before and after solo is basic stuff that every student should be drilled with. It seems the only group who's aircraft will lose privileges are those with letters on the side? Surely this is a lesser number of the Jabiru fleet. If so why did CASA accept GA certification of the engines in the first place?

Hate to say it but I think CASA got this one just about right, given the known issues with the engine and Jabiru's recalcitrance in fixing them. The real question is how will the issues be resolved. CASA says it may review and relax the restrictions early in the new year but I fail to see how any statistical case for this can be made in such a short time, this is probably just a placatory move to delay litigation by owners.

I wonder if CASA might have been muzzled?