PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - COPA Airlines interviews
View Single Post
Old 19th Dec 2014, 02:50
saraceno

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EASA vs FAA

This topic will never end to make me laugh. Samca this is especially for you, please listen up and try to understand my point. I am originally from Europe, I had the pleasure and honor to be naturalized in the US in 2006 after 13 being a resident in the States. I have an FAA atpl and a CFI, II, MEI instructor license, just recently I have converted my FAA atpl into CAA UK EASA ATPL. Here's the thing, the process was insane, hard, absurd and useless for about 80% of the material covered. In Europe we put more enphasis on the theory part, on the other end in US the FAA for each licence requires a limited knowledge that is required to exercise the privilege. Having said that, in US in order to get a job with an airline one needs to have a basic knowledge that goes far beyond the one required by the FAA to pass an ATP test.

In Europe the EASA ATPL is a finishing line, in US the ATP is a licence to learn. I worked in the States for 15 years and for my last 4 years I worked as captain at Copa, I ve flown with lots of spanish pilots, some of them good some of them ok, it is not the licence that makes you a good pilot, it is your attitude first and than all the rest.

Samca with your statement you are killing the spirit of aviation, try not to make such a statement regarding your fellows compadres being superiors to the rest of the community, it is not fair because in life you never know, since you re talking about the superiority of the spanish pilots you might wanna tell the story of the spanish pilot who got violated in Chicago for making a180 degrees turn instead of turnig to 180 heading after take off, was he calculating the wind trygonometry as he was flying? A great Italian scientist, Leonardo da Vinci once said" simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" americans are great because they embrace that principle, and don't forget the US landed on the moon before you were born.

Most of your country men learnt a lot not from their jaa licence, but from flying with a bunch of retired Southwest pilots for long time, that eperience was priceless. Please stop this non sense because in US a pilot with 1000 hours doesn't even serve coffee on an airliner.