PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Global Aviation Magazine : 60 Years of the Hercules
Old 15th Dec 2014, 16:21
friendlypelican 2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AA62,
Yes, our paths crossed in the 70/80s. I was at Changi (ground tour) mid-70 to Dec 71. Then 30Sqn, HTS and finally EU 84-87.
I think we exchanged PMs briefly about a year ago. Great days and I loved every minute of it.
Further to your post #2028. As Nav Ldr I went to Thule regularly and the Danish beer (Ceres?) started off in the Class 6 at $2 a case and pretty much every body picked up a couple of cases as a 'Route Bargain'. Lye Customs got used to this. However, when it came down to 50 cents a case it was a 'steal' that we couldn't ignore. Our co-pilot was i/c the Sqn Fund and after a crew huddle, we bought all the stock that was left. Back at Lye, we duly declared it as "the usual beer" and so no problem. However a little later, the Customs chap looks out from his office and sees a Condec being used just for the beer. OOPS! The Sqn boss was Brian Earle (lovely man) and he used up lots of favours to resolve this and the beer was initially stored in his MQ garage. It lasted for months and the whole Sqn benefitted.
Heading East again, yesterday I received a Xmas card from another friend from the early 70's and he included a photo of me enjoying a wind-down beer in the Blue Lagoon in Gan - another blissful memory!
Jenkins - Season's Greetings old chum!

Last edited by friendlypelican 2; 15th Dec 2014 at 16:23. Reason: Adding comment