PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jet2 Autumn 2014
View Single Post
Old 11th Dec 2014, 11:52
UK019

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To back up Johnny FP’s comments, it’s surely a question of “one man’s meat .. etc etc”

I spent a great 10 years at Jet2, and only left because the law doesn’t allow aged old f*rts to transport the general public. Being completely ‘up front’ I was in pilot management and training there and so you’ll understand that my views will inevitably be coloured by that fact. Nevertheless, it gave me a very good overview of how the company works.

I would venture to suggest that no airline is perfect, and one must take the posts about Jet2 in the context of comments on this forum about other airlines. These are direct cut-and-pastes from PPRuNe:

BA CityFlyer: “Go in with your eyes very much open... Morale at an all time low... mass exodus underway (at last)”

Norwegian Air Shuttle: “Norwegian is disgusting, Speaking as a current Norwegian pilot / former Ryanair pilot. My only advice is to stay away from Norwegian at all cost. Unless that is you enjoy to be terminated with one month notice ..”

Qatar Airways: “The training is generally of a very low standard and it's also fear driven with very little positive feedback or encouragement, parrot fashion regurgitation of the ops manual is encouraged, using your brain to think laterally and solve problems is not. Get used to saying "yes captain I see captain" a lot, even when the guy is an ignorant third world buffoon, they can make your life hell if you disagree with them.”

Ryanair: Where do I start? How about: “Sadly Ryanair do not value experience in the flight deck, nor anywhere else within the company. I have never met such a bunch of morons as the management there.”

I could go on with airline after airline with identical sentiments. I would point out that in each case above there are at least an equal number of posts expressing a precisely opposite opinion. It seems that no airline is lauded by 100% of the workforce, some like where they are and some don’t - and of course there will always be those who permanently sport a face like a slapped bum and will never be satisfied anywhere.

It’s all down to what suits you personally. I know Johnny FP and I think that he speaks honestly, and with the majority voice. For me, Honiley’s view doesn’t match mine by a long way – and let me say that the airline has the lowest twit to good bloke (girl) ratio I’ve ever come across; in 10 years I only encountered one person who I really didn’t like flying with. The current Chief Pilot (now Deputy DFO) is an absolute gent and is honourable and decent, and the training is first-class.

I miss it.

Last edited by UK019; 11th Dec 2014 at 12:10. Reason: Messed up an italic