PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair Interview and Sim Assessment (merged)
Old 10th Dec 2014, 19:18
Veren

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got the call from CAE about three weeks after applying. In the meanwhile I got in touch with a SFO who gave me a very detailed summary of what to expect as a FR cadet. He basically painted me a very grim picture of life as a starting FR pilot and the financial struggles he did not anticipate at the time. I decided FR wasn't for me and I thus withdrew my application, looking for greener pastures.

I truly wish P2F + P4TR without any additional concessions from the airline were a thing of the past. But as long as threads like this exist I hold no hope; Too many youngsters with shiny jet syndrome and either no concept of money or lucky enough that they don't care.

Please consider that 28.5k is not the only thing you fork over when you sign for FR; You will also have a considerable amount of hidden costs, not to mention the opportunity cost of actually earning an honest paycheck in the meanwhile. My own calculations came up with roughly 40k € spent / not earned by the end of the first year. I can't justify that amount of money + hours on a 738 aren't worth THAT much in my opinion.

But apparently a lot of people disagree; I personally know 4 people that passed the assessment in the last 7 or 8 weeks since I completed my MCC course, and they couldn't be happier; I'd almost think they won the lottery.

I truly wish everybody invited to the assessment the best of luck, but talking with the guys waiting to be assessed at simtech and hearing my own friends hype FR, I am not convinced they fully realise what they are getting into.