PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - USAF Alconburyoff base housing
View Single Post
Old 10th Dec 2014, 12:33
chopper2004

Received 93 Likes on 49 Posts
Herman,

I'm born and bred in this collegial city and happy to offer my thoughts..

AFAIK Alconbury is safe and Molesworth is continuing to expand according to a converse I had at Farnborough with an attendee...who knows and should know as they are regular visitor between there and Stuttgart and yes they does wear a shirt and tie! They said if any of our MP/MEPs are worried then they should not be. Relocating to Northampton /Oxford Golf Ball country would not work, in fact it be far easier to move the village and Golf Ball country up this way!!

The Alconbury Weald lot who are wielding their sheath and knocking down most of the HASs, command posts on the airfield site (have been up there a few times in the last couple of months). Their 25 year plan for new town, university campus etc etc DOES NOT include tearing down but building around the existing 501st as far as they know, the 501st ain;t moving.
Though the new CO...apparently wants to get rid of the F-5E gate guard, so I heard...

My neck of the woods in Camb is very expensive....

I'd suggest St Ives as its nice, not too expensive, and nice river, friendly atmosphere and down the road.

Defo not Chaaaaaaaatteris as one of my old best mates and one of our friends' family relocated there from Cam cos it was cheaper but its chav and boy racer territory. The roads are not particularly brilliant either.

Further up past Molesworth, Thrapston ain't too bad or was but unfortunately it is being swallowed up / amalgamated by Corby (one mate of ours moved out with his wife as he put it just in time 2 years ago!) and Corby is not particularly a nice place.

Anyway Cottenham/Impington/Histon ain't too bad villages outside Camb itself though tbh, the caravan lot are not noticeable noticeable in the local pubs and their segregation is more apparent in the news. The only downside like with other villages like Earith, Willingham, Longstanton, Dry Drayton, Conington, Papworth, between Huntingdon, St Ives, and Cambridge is the roads. Yes they have been improved over the years but...still

I've got a few friends in the property rental marketplace, here, so am sending you a PM.

Btw laughingly it has come to my attention that housing for EUCOM personnel, assigned here are in high demand and there is not enough. Yaxley, which is outside Peterborough was a USAFE village predominantly for the residents down the road in the 80s and 90s. Unfortunately with the base drawdown, it went and there are now personnel kicking themselves.

Cheers

Last edited by chopper2004; 10th Dec 2014 at 13:05.