PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dragonair DE FO Interview Experiences/Feedback
Old 30th Nov 2014, 03:17
Lowkoon

Location: HK- A little bit of industrial China in every breath you take.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The system hasn't changed for about a decade then, trawl through some old posts. The info is out there.

Uk-pilot, they are recruiting expats, but on local terms. Its a good job search allowance if nothing else.

Prepare yourself in the obvious areas.

You and your attitude towards Hong Kong, show you have an idea of living in HK, as this is not a commuting contract, and there is no sign of that ever changing. It is a SHORT HAUL CHINA JOB with a smattering of destinations outside of China. Once your training is over, you will rarely get a trip outside of China as they are typically training routes for various reasons, but the main ones being sector length and roster stability.

What do things cost in HK, where do you think you might want and be able to afford to live? Know some basics about Dragon, a little bit of history, what do we fly where do we go, who is the boss? We have a weekly update to tell us who the CEO is this week, they come over and do bit of work experience, accept a few self appointed awards, and then they are off to another Swires post. The goal for them is to do nothing, don't upset cathay, and spend nothing, keep your head down and wait for the next promotion.

2nd interview, expect a few pilots on the panel, and more of a tech quiz. They don't care what the answer is, they want to know how you answer it. If you don't know, they want to see how you approach not knowing the answer. They have their BS radar on, they honestly don't care how many hydraulic systems the Embraer has. Possibly some good cop bad cop going on here, and some selective targeting type questions. "Tell us about I time when..."

The aircraft you fly, if you are already airbus rated expect a grilling. If you fly something else, expect generic questions on your type. Know your companies current fuel policy and be able to apply it.

Have your log book up to date, and not 100 pages all written on the same day with the same pen.

UK pilot offered some suggestions on how to win friends and influence people. My personal opinion after many years in the company, is that Doris is an integral part of the interview and selection process, and a professional. Her BS radar of who will fit in and who wont is as developed as any of the pilots. She has seen thousands of applicants, and almost as many interviews. She has earnt the respect of the pilot managers through effectively reducing their work level at the second stage interview. Enough said.

There isn't a Canadian guy in the company I wouldn't happily share a beer with on an overnight, (not that there is much opportunity to do that, most overnights are minimum rest in good to less than good hotels). Not a single chipped shoulder amongst them, I would dispute that "one off" observation made earlier.