PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Empire Strikes Back! on Colour Defective Pilots
Old 23rd Nov 2014, 12:30
gerry111

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts
Cockney Steve, I very closely agree with your understanding of how Sony Trinitron colour CRTs work.

You are correct that if one of the colour guns fail, the displayed picture will be anything but monochrome.

(For example: If the red gun fails, the pix will be cyan. If the green gun fails, the pix will be magenta. If the blue gun fails, the pix will be yellow.)

The same goes for an old analogue television with any type of colour CRT.

LeadSled, I'm rather unsurprised that a relatively low cost consumer product, (In this case a Sony Trinitron colour CRT) found its way into the commercial aviation market at much greater cost! The Sony Trinitrons are a little unusual from other colour CRTs in that they were made from lead crystal glass. And so are pretty heavy.

A 1967 Bonanza (with which I am a little bit familiar) needed a new PA speaker. The owner discovered that it was actually a rear speaker from a sixties General Motors vehicle. So a search found a brand new old stock automotive part. It is the same item! Of course, the old faulty part remains fitted as lives could be in jeopardy if we were to fit the new one!

My apologies for thread drift! Back to CVD.

Last edited by gerry111; 23rd Nov 2014 at 12:56.