PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Empire Strikes Back! on Colour Defective Pilots
Old 22nd Nov 2014, 09:45
cockney steve

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gentlemen, thank you for the clarification.

It was stated, unchallenged, earlier in the thread, that displays reverted to greyscale.
I can see that happening with a "colour- generation" fault. However, a CRT relies on 3 different guns each of which fires it's electron beam through a hole in a Shadow.Mask (a sheet of perforated gauze) to illuminate "it's" 1/3-portion of a compound phosphor dot printed on the inside of the screen......
So, if A (not "the" A colour-gun fails, you will get different, distorted colours to those intended (or nothing, if the part of the display was intendedin that gun's pure part of the spectrum.
. The Trinitron tube differed from a conventional tube only in that it's shadow-mask had slits instead of circular holes and the phosphor "dot" was thus a 3-part strip. The guns still had to align accurately to fire their beams through the slit and illuminate the correct bit of phosphor.
A super quality product, the domestic TV's were sold with a 3-year guarantee inthe UK, making it as cheap to buy over 3 years , than renting...Every year after that was a "free" TV.

@ LEADSLED Before you rip into me, please note I said "APPARENTLY"... I am not at all familiar with the actual manifestations of CVD, apart from the odd colour-blind individual I have questioned. I got the impression they all saw their colour-deficient part of the spectrum in grey and were thus able to make a fair guess as to what,if any colour was present.

Perhaps you could enlighten us all and expand on this ?

Absolute rubbish refuted, can I have my credibility back now? pretty please.