PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cathay Pacific Cadet Pilot Programme
View Single Post
Old 21st Nov 2014, 02:08
Mediums

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where should I start? Let's just say with an apology to all the senior pilots/posters that had been previously warning us all about the cadet scheme or path, or this "career oppurtunity".

I started chasing this dream a couple years back after learning about the cadet scheme, complete with my Top Gun Raybans on. Unfortunately, the Raybans have come off and I can see the light again.

Whatever I say from here on is my personal opinion and I wish it helps some hopeful out there of actually flying or getting a real flying job.

First of all, the whole cadet program is a farce aimed at only one thing to reduce cost and you are but a number to them. Passion for aviation? Haha...Laughable at best, when you have your first interview there won't be a single pilot in the room rather you will be interviewed by ex Flight attendants for a flying job. Why do you think the senior pilots are constantly complaining about the quality of the newly graduated cadets it is declining and this is one of the reasons.

Think of it this way, you will spend 14 months as a cadet, then 3-4 years as a Second Officer. That is 5 years of your life right there which you could progress or improve yourself in so many other ways. Let's not beat around the bush here most of you joining are only here for the money, which to be honest is pathetic at this moment but I guess one man's trash is another man's treasure.

To sum it all up, save up enough money for a year or two. Get a CPL first, I wish I had done this sooner and flown all over the world at my own expense in a leisurely manner. There are so many other ways you can go from there, should you still wish to pursue this "dream" or "passion". They want your passion in exchange for money in their bank accounts. It is a disgrace and shame really... How they offer this "oppurtunity" but in reality it is just a money scheme. Do some research and write down all the pros and cons on paper and make a better decision. All that glitters is not gold. I hope this post helps some hopeful out there make a better decision out there sooner than I did.