PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas retro livery 737
View Single Post
Old 16th Nov 2014, 12:23
AerialPerspective

Received 53 Likes on 26 Posts
Al E Vator

My pleasure.
My ex QF colleagues always say "How do you remember all this stuff". I guess like a lot of people here, aviation is our business.
I truly was a child of Qantas, family friends, social occasions, etc. always had a Qantas tinge to them and they were great times.
I have lots of other knowledge of QF over the years as I was an avid lover of aeroplanes when I was a kid. I inherited some of my Dad's drawing talent and I remember him saying to someone at a party one day "My son loves the 747, he did a drawing the other day and while it was obviously a child's drawing, he had every damn antenna and feature included".
I've had some great times over the years. Probably would never have flown on BA but we went to NAN in 1971 and were staying with the Qantas APM. We were coming back as luck would have it on the last day what you might call 'ghetto blasters" now were not subject to duty. When Cassette players and the like were gaining popularity there was almost a competition amongst manufacturers to make them as big as possible but put a handle on the top so they qualified as 'portable' and thus not subject to duty!
Anyway, we were offloaded from the Qantas flight (which of course was a B707) and after some 'pulling of strings' we came back on BOAC the next day (they used to fly the pacific to LHR via JFK, LAX, etc. in those days as well as west-bound to the UK from Australia).
Anyway, it was a treat!! The aircraft was a Vickers Super VC-10. I didn't travel on BA again for a few years (by which time it was British Airways) from MEL to PER in 1976. The B747-136 had BA Titles but a Dark Blue Cheat Line and tail with a gold Speedbird!!
However, I've always been pleased we got offloaded so I could say I flew on a VC-10!!