PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RA and S/O did nothing?
View Single Post
Old 14th Nov 2014, 19:33
Good Business Sense

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I sense you were rather good at your job, CFS?
Nah, Joe average and, unfortunately, not ex Mil. Just been around a long time and have a few old man stories.

The rudder mention just brought out an old memory of having a bank angle of about 80-90 deg, or so it seemed, at just under 100 feet - a second or two before landing.

New lad with around 200 hours had mentally calculated there was a cross wind (well 7 kts of wind with maybe 3 kts cross) - so as many of us do at the point in our careers, he hung his hat on rote learning. He and the other boys and girls had been talking about how you do a crosswind landing ... (blind leading the partially sighted - with one 200 hour telling another 200 hour what to do) so when we were going into the flare he went into CROSSWIND mode- he gave it a FULL boot of rudder - I don't know how the wing tip missed the runway (I remember catching a glimpse of the runway out of his side window below us n.b. we're at 100 feet) - I don't remember taking control and initiating the go-around - there was no thought process. It happened in an instant - I was shocked - just didn't see it coming !

...... who boots FULL rudder on a wide body jet ?? Being a bit busy at the time I can't tell you what he did with the ailerons (I like side sticks but this is where they bite)

Wide bodies should not be a new pilot kindergarten. Nothing personal - I had 200 hours once too.

Last edited by Good Business Sense; 14th Nov 2014 at 19:48.