PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATSOCAS
Thread: ATSOCAS
View Single Post
Old 14th Nov 2014, 19:02
whowhenwhy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well said Moli.

MJ, I'm showing my hand more than I'd like but it is garbage because I've been involved in the analysis to determine whether there's any truth in the matter, alongside reviewing a host of other aspects of operations in Class G related ATS. The reporting statistics didn't change immediately after the introduction of UK FIS in 2009. I can't put my hand to the report right now (because my non-typing hand is holding hobgoblin, not a work laptop as it's Friday night) but there is no correlation with the introduction in 2009.

As Moli says, there has been a huge push in both the civilian and military aviation communities to report on aviation safety matters to improve safety for everyone and we are now in a position where the gliding community are actively reporting airprox and discussing the utility of RT - the key here being that we ATCOs need to realise that asking them to operate "not below x thousand feet" is wasted effort.

Class G in the UK in its current guise can work (despite the fact that my personal opinion is that it is a fudge that should and could be improved upon) but it requires everyone operating within it to have the same level of understanding of their differing roles and responsibilities. Training is the key.

From what I've said, I think MJ that you can tell that I'm not burying my head in the sand and that things need to change but telling yourself that the problems we experience in Class G in the UK aren't replicated elsewhere in Europe is a little naive. It may be exacerbated in part by density/complexity in parts of the country but the problems are not unique. And I'm also interested to know how you have measured safety in Class G airspace and determined that safety has reduced? What statistics have you used, what have you used for your start/end point of analysis, how have you corrected for all of the changes introduced through FLARM, TCAS, STCA, availability of LARS, changes introduced to traffic information phraseology to improve its accuracy, increase in recreational GA traffic levels, GPS based navigation, local operator engagement in joint civil/military user groups, incident reporting etc etc?