PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas retro livery 737
View Single Post
Old 14th Nov 2014, 10:17
AerialPerspective

Received 53 Likes on 26 Posts
Yes and no.
During strikes - most notably the ATC Strike in '73 or '74 the HS-125 was used to ferry Management from SYD.
In a QANTAS News from that period there is a lone B707-338C at the JetBase (it was the ONLY aeroplane at SYD at that time).
I remember my Dad telling way back (I'll confirm it with him) that this was the LAST B707-338C to depart SYD at that time and ferried Ramp, Passenger Handling, Load Control and Flight Ops Staff to MEL which became the busiest airport in Australia for a period of time.
Aircraft would arrive in MEL, be unloaded, then the Engineers had organised a system of towing them to taxiways in a departure order arrangement. So once a gate became available, they would tow the next one up, depart it, tow the next one and so on. This went on for a month apparently or more. Flights would come into MEL, people would clear customs, collect bags, walk to a bus, then go direct to Spencer St Station (now Southern Cross) and travel on to SYD via Daylight or Southern Aurora to SYD - I think they even had QF 'Flight' numbers - e.g. the train in the morning would 'operate' the MELSYD leg of QF6 or QF8. I remember Dad did a cartoon (he is also a cartoonist) of a VicRail Interstate Train painted red with "QANTAS - Australia's Round-The-World Railway" on the side!!!