PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - More KC-46A woes....
View Single Post
Old 10th Nov 2014, 06:53
D-IFF_ident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not sure where the xenophobia is - I can only see people putting their opinions about different airframes forward. Personally, my opinion on which is better - the KC-45 or the KC-46 is "none of the above". If I was in a position to make decisions in strategic multi-role tanker procurement I'd want at least 3 engines, cargo door, flexible cabin arrangement able to take a minimum of between 0 pallets:250 passengers to 20 pallets: 0 passengers, with a minimum combi-load of 10 pallets:100 passengers and no height compromise for strengthening the floor or having overhead lockers. I'd want a comprehensive C2 avionics suite with modular intel/sensor/MAWS/LIRCM systems, an integrated mission planning system, inbuilt W&B sensors connected to the onboard flight planning systems. I'd want a variety of options for internal configurations for Aeromed/VIP etc and fuel tanks that can be isolated so I could do the all-important fuel deliveries to keep the support staff oil heaters working. In general I'd want a self-supporting command and control, passenger, cargo, tanker, battle-damage resistant jet aircraft with the shortest take-off/landing roll possible.

In short I'd want a purpose-built aircraft, not a modified civilian airliner.

Since that option doesn't exist I'd settle for the Airbus airframe, with a Boeing boom and Cobham pods. Parker can supply the UARRSI and Eaton can sort out the plumbing.

Last edited by D-IFF_ident; 10th Nov 2014 at 06:54. Reason: Spelling and comedy