PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot over drink/drive limit removed from aircraft
Old 6th Nov 2014, 20:51
Uncle Fred

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts
Well said A and C. Nearly all of us clearly understand that you are set against both showing up fatigued or being above the alcohol limit.

Perhaps a topic for a new thread, but I have always wondered about the fine line between fatigued and just being very tired. Indeed fatigue is a danger--in just about any field where mental and physical coordination are involved. This ranges equally for piloting, surgery, or driving a fork lift at the local warehouse.

Although I have done a lot of lay reading on fatigue, I wonder how many accidents/incidents have been caused by just being out of sleep--even if it is not true fatigue.

Now I know the general public would crease over in laughter at someone even raising the idea of being "tired" for is not every gent/lady who works for a living tired at the end of the day? Indeed.

Yet I could be Rip van Winkle and have been asleep for a few years but keep me awake for 24 hours and I am going to be prone to mistakes. I think it has been a serious error for piloting groups just to trumpet the ill effects of fatigue (which of course they should be doing) but not expanding it to when pilots are just plain gassed.

I am not sure how to thread that needle but I do feel we do ourselves a disservice at times but having to let crewmembers go all the way to full fatigue before we raise the red card.

Your point is well taken however. Impairment, irrespective of its origin, has no place in the cockpit.