Old 30th Oct 2014, 00:31
Sarcs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Miniscule Media Release

New CASA Director of Aviation Safety appointed

Media Release
WT220/2014
30 October 2014
Deputy Prime Minister and Minister for Infrastructure and Regional Development Warren Truss today welcomed the appointment of Air Vice Marshal (Retd) Mark Skidmore AM as the new Director of Aviation Safety at the Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA).

The five year appointment by the CASA Board was announced by Chairman, Dr Alan Hawke AC earlier today.

“I look forward to working with Mark, the CASA Board and industry as the Government implements its response to the Aviation Safety Regulatory Review due to be released before the end of the year,” Mr Truss said.
Air Vice Marshal Skidmore has more than 30 years' experience in both civilian and military aviation.

He has worked in civilian aviation as a test pilot and has experience flying a number of different aircraft types, including gliders and helicopters.
AVM Skidmore also has experience as a business development manager and company director.

AVM Skidmore had an outstanding military aviation career, reaching the rank of Air Vice Marshal before retiring from the RAAF in 2012.

He has been an active part of the general aviation community for a number of years, owning and regularly flying a Globe GC-1B Swift aircraft.
The new Director of Aviation Safety was chosen by the Board after an international search.

From Dougy:
Editor's Insights 30 October 2014
30 Oct 2014
Doug Nancarrow

Special CASA DAS edition:
Well it took a while but now we know who’s going to be heading up CASA for the next few years.

Mark Skidmore comes with an impeccable record at the RAAF, finishing there are Air Commander Australia before retiring in 2012.

Industry people I have shared this news with are fairly united in their approval of the man as an exceptional candidate for the demanding job; though some are surprised that yet another civil aviation bureaucracy finds itself with an ex-military head. There were those, including me, who thought that the selection process would dodge the ex-military ranks to avoid any controversy along those lines.

Well now we have an expanded board, with some exceptional talent there as well, and our new DAS. Time to get down to business and start the process of conferring with industry.

Your comments are, as always welcome.

This is such a big story that I’m cutting Editor’s Insights short this week to get it out to you. I’ll make up the news and commentary content next Thursday – or indeed on the website and Twitter earlier if there’s any more critical news.
Oz Flying: Mark Skidmore to run CASA

Australian Aviation: Ex RAAF Air Commander Mark Skidmore new CASA boss

MTF..