PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Planned Media Release re CASA Misinformation
Old 28th Oct 2014, 01:19
Creampuff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
anyone with any experience in aviation knows that the number of movements by VHF carrying aircraft at these unmarked aerodromes is three fifths of five eighths of f*ck all.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."
I’ve done and continue to do lots of flying around Australia while listening to not one, not two, but three frequencies: Area, 126.7 and the CTAF of the nearest aerodrome with a CTAF other than 126.7.

For example, flying to the southwest of Sydney I will often hear, on Area, the parachute drop aircraft from Ngambie, Goulburn, Moruya, Wollongong and Wilton. I will also hear numerous aircraft broadcasting on 126.7 at places the name of which I recognise and which are aerodromes depicted on charts.

However, I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of broadcasts I’ve heard, in thirty years, on any frequency anywhere in Australia from someone operating at a place that is not depicted on an aeronautical chart. It's very unusual but a very pleasant surprise.

The inferences that I draw from that experience are: First, there are very few movements to and from these places and, even assuming I am wrong, most of those movements don’t involve broadcasts on any frequency.

The scaremongers are suggesting that there are lots of broadcasts on 126.7 in the vicinity of places that are not depicted as aerodromes on aeronautical charts – the “literally thousands of small agricultural and private dirt and grass strips” – and, so their argument goes, it may rain aluminium confetti if those people start broadcasting on 126.7 instead.

Question: Why don’t I hear any of those calls on 126.7 from those places now?

My answer: Because there are so few of them.

Does anyone have any other rational explanation?
WAC chart only thanks creamy. That's all that is required in that area
Best to brush up on your aviation law before your next flight review Trent. I think you’ll find you’re required to have the current ERC as well. You know: the ERC that, along with the VNC, depicts Nackeroo as an aerodrome …

But let’s assume Nackeroo isn’t depicted as an aerodrome on the ERC or VNC.

Nackeroo is three miles from Timber Creek (YTBR) which is depicted on the WAC.

There’s a rule about the frequency to use when in the vicinity of YTBR.

But let’s assume Nackeroo isn’t depicted as an aerodrome on any aeronautical chart, and is many miles from any aerodrome depicted on charts.

What’s your estimate, Trent, of the number of movements there each day?

To the nearest 100.

Surely we should be warning Brisbane Centre that 122.6 is going to be swamped with broadcasts from aircraft in the vicinity of YNKR. Lives are at risk.