PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Truss: Aviation Safety Regulation Review
View Single Post
Old 23rd Oct 2014, 21:19
Soteria

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ASA have expensive issues ahead - remediating contaminated airport land!

I wonder why nothing has been said about the 39 airports that have contaminated land due to the chemicals used in ARFF fire fighting foam which has saturated and environmentally polluted a lot of land? My understanding is that ASA have a secret war chest of hundreds of millions of dollars squirrelled aside to cover this issue. Can anyone confirm?
I also heard that ASA have been sitting on their thumbs on this issue, and where it is becoming very complex and sloppy is that state governments in their haste to approve ridiculous airport land use plans so as to appease developers thirst for greed and profits, have now got a situation where developers may not be able to build on the contaminated land as it will need to be remediated first. The developers feel ripped off and don't want to pay for remediation, the federal government is ****ting itself as it (ASA) may/will have to pay out big dollars to clean up land they have allowed to be polluted, and they don't want any 'bad publicity'! Ironically a number of airport developments are ready to be started and some of the big airport owners (super funds, JP Morgan etc) are not happy that their precious assets and investments are being held back from development due to this issue!

I have heard that in reality this issue could run into the very very high hundred of millions, and beyond
Oh well, where is Greg Russell when you need him the most! Have fun Margaret!

P.S And poor Hoody. Yet again I see another potential poison chalice being thrust into his lap, so to speak

As Sarcs would say, if I may, MTF

Last edited by Soteria; 24th Oct 2014 at 02:18.