PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: Senate Inquiry
View Single Post
Old 23rd Oct 2014, 18:51
Kharon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Of Oversights, aberrations and bullets.

Good on Alex Gallacher, foxed MM out of his hole, even if the smug retort was "not me – I've got top cover – Staib is on her Pat Malone, so there" (smirk).

Mr Mrdak : No. The governance of the organisation rests with the board and the CEO. They are accountable to the minister.

Senator GALLACHER: So where do they get their money?

Mr Mrdak : They are funded from industry charges.

Senator GALLACHER: Which are passed on to the travelling public as airfares.

Mr Mrdak : That is correct. The organisation is industry funded.

Senator GALLACHER: So it is a government business enterprise which does not know the rules in accordance with the public works committee, which is the longest-standing committee of the federal parliament. It has nothing to do with you. Is that what you are telling me?

Mr Mrdak : The chief executive has outlined to you the way in which this has been identified and the rectification steps taken. I do not think I can add anything further to that.

Ms Staib : Through the pricing arrangements there is—through the ACCC—but we do not have to seek approval of the Department of Finance, because it is all revenue derived from airline charges. It is not a government appropriation. (my bold)
Then; after the Gallacher jabs, but before the sweaty top lip of Staib is mopped dry – Sterle throws in a credit card right cross:- of course collective amnesia sets in; then coyly, like a Victorian virgin, daringly uncovering her ankle; the mighty intellect of Staib fires up and a dim, vague, small recollection creeps into the forebrain. What a load of Bollocks; unless it's an almost daily occurrence – sacking one of gods chosen for ripping off industry funds – I think the whole department would know who, when, where and how much was 'misused' and in which cathouse the money was spent.

IMO a decent manager would go for a very public prosecution, just to stop the rest of the troops thinking they could get away with similar, set the tone by making an example. But the witless Staib can only pray – "if my memory serves me correctly". Bollocks. I'm more offended by the arrogant assumption that everyone is dumb enough to swallow that crap and bad play acting than the loss of AUD$20, 000; or that we are expected to believe it was an isolated event. While I'm at it – (steam on) can someone please teach her to read out-loud from a script; it is after all, a basic skill learned at the teat and a must for anyone who presumes to do a lot of 'speechifying'. (Steam off).

Sterle : It is a pretty serious issue, because they were dismissed. Does anyone else have the amount? Gentlemen, you have that blank look on your faces—it is not so hard. How many people get dismissed the credit-card misuse? Someone must have the figure. I do not believe that you do not have it.

Ms Staib : I am sorry but I do not have the figure at hand. I simply cannot recall it.
Mind you, when your'e busy gouging AUD $96.3 MILLIONS – out of the travelling public – a $20,000 oversight may well be – insignificant.

CHAIR: Did the person who defrauded with the credit card make good the fraud amount? Or did you just say, 'You're sacked. See you later'?

Ms Staib : He has left the organisation. I will have to check whether we have pursued the repayment of the money.

CHAIR: Unbelievable.

Senator STERLE: On that, Chair, perhaps we could let Ms Staib know that at the next round of Senate estimates I want her to come prepared with all the information on the credit card misuse, and with any other examples of credit card misuse, travel misuse or anything that has been in the structure of Airservices Australia in the last three to five years, so we will not have play charades.

CHAIR: I will be consulting with the secretary, because now I know about it, and under the Crimes Act I am going to act, with the assistance of the secretary. Thank you very much. I will now call the ATSB. (My bold)
CHAIR:"Did someone get the bullet?" Is a bloody good question and places Staib in the same group as Dolan. If this committee was to get any more angry, they could, quite rightfully be howling for a minimum of two resignations, if not three from this tawdry passage of play.

4 Dogs – nice catch; it is indeed an intriguing notion and the "W" quote you provided has been at the core of a semi-furious, unresolved discussion at the BRB.

Yet again, not enough information prior to sending out the lynch mob for mine.
One thing the BRB never disagreed on was that whatever happens – will be behind closed doors, it will be swift, ruthless and never exposed to public view. This committee have good lines of contact and are trusted. There is little disagreement that if they do need additional 'information', it will be provided. Plenty of it available.

Sarcs –"One wonders how Ms Staib's position could still be tenable after such an insipid performance; but, then again, we still have Beaker in position don't we??"
We are becoming a tribe which seems to accept accident investigation reports which are "aberrations" and $96, 000,000 "oversights" as the norm. Perhaps it's time we asked the same question as Heff did, with a rider – Did someone get the bullet? – If not why not??

Second the motion for Hood's choccy frog – but, only one though, the little blighter is getting addicted and using the wrappers for 'bling'. Which, of it's self, is no bad thing, however we must control the excesses of our public officials....

Toot toot.

4D – the infamous "passing strange" comment came from one of McComic's more disgusting rants during the Pel-Air fiasco when he attempted to denigrate and belittle one of the witnesses; went down like a well trimmed manhole cover – but delighted me; so, I 'wodgered' it......

Last edited by Kharon; 23rd Oct 2014 at 21:06. Reason: So many choices; so little time - great, ain't it?