PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CASA Red tape reduction and Audit
View Single Post
Old 23rd Oct 2014, 06:39
Sarcs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RTR repeal day next week.

From a transcript of a SKY News interview with the miniscule's assistant Jamie Briggs MP with an example of RTR within his area of remit...
Kieran Gilbert: I want to talk about the issue of red tape. Josh Frydenberg has been leading this within the Government.

Jamie Briggs: Yes.

Kieran Gilbert: It's apparently now going to reach more than $2 billion in savings for businesses and individuals through tax returns and so on. Labor says it wants to see the detail. I guess that's only proper, isn't it? Particularly given it did have concerns last time about inadvertent implications on competition and so on?

Jamie Briggs: Well all credit to Josh Frydenberg in this respect. He's done an outstanding job in finding a way through the bureaucracy, across legislative impediments to reduce the amount of red tape that operates in our system. Red tape holds back businesses from employing and it makes it more difficult for people to go about enterprise in our country. Josh is tenacious in his pursuit of this. In my own portfolio of infrastructure and regional development, we recently abolished a small but very significant piece of red tape, which cost about $12 million a year, and it was a piece of legislation, or a regulation if you like, which required an additional extension to mudguards on motorcycles. Now, some, when we announced this, sort of made fun of the announcement. The reality is, it saves $12 million a year. It was a small announcement, it was a small change but it's quite a significant reduction in cost, if you like.
Strange that the miniscule himself seems loath to cast his jaundiced eye over the behemoth of regs contained within the CASR 1998. Instead he merely accepts the piecemeal efforts being put forward by the current regime in Fort Fumble...

This would seem to be so totally out of step with many of his front bench colleagues, including his Assistant miniscule - from further on in the SKY News interview:
Jamie Briggs: Look it's a good point, and that's a challenge for Josh I guess leading this role within Government. I thought Malcolm Turnbull put it very well a couple of days ago when he said that it's a real discipline on ministers to consider every regulation that we're responsible for, and whether the need for it still exists. And in that sense what Josh is doing is pushing us all to consider the regulations for which we're responsible. Are they necessary? Do they actually achieve the purpose they were originally put in place for, or are we better off without them, and does that mean that we can get on and create opportunities? I think, as I said, Josh has been tenacious on this, the Prime Minister wanted him to be, and I think the Prime Minister is very pleased with the performance that Josh has brought to the table in that respect.
Hmm...I also thought the following comment from JB was extremely topical and amusing in light of the many Wodger wabbits wunning around the FF warren...

"...Josh has been, as I said, tenacious in pursuing those smaller issues of red tape, which he's just pursued like rabbits down a burrow in order to reduce the cost of doing business in Australia..."

I wish Josh would take the (pick preferred method for extermination); Mixo/Ferrets/Cyanide bombs/Wabbit twaps/Shotty to the FF wabbit warren...

MTF...