PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MERGED: Alan's still not happy......
View Single Post
Old 18th Oct 2014, 03:04
FYSTI

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PR boss in Opera ball drama with Paul Howes

October 18, 2014 - 1:12AM

Andrew Hornery
Private Sydney Columnist

Life in Sydney for tall blonde Olivia Wagner, with her Germanic good looks, exotic Innsbruck accent and glamorous wardrobe, had been going rather well.

Dispatched from head office in Vienna, she hosted glamorous soirees and embraced her senior marketing role as the Australian public relations boss of Austrian luxury jeweller Swarovski. Feted by the city's beautiful people, she was on first name basis with everyone from Miranda Kerr to fashion magazine editors.

Then, last Saturday night, in the midst of a black-tie fundraising ball under the moonlit sails of the Opera House she came across former union boss and political figure Paul Howes and his wife, Qantas corporate and government relations director Olivia Wirth.

Suddenly Wagner's life in Sydney went to hell in a designer handbag, the contents of which were later strewn across the cobblestones as security guards came to her aid as she broke down while a fuming Howes unleashed an angry tirade.

Police were called and it was Wagner, along with her two companions, including her host, Harper's Bazaar Australia advertising executive Peter Harrison, who went to The Rocks police station just after midnight to make statements following the incident, not leaving until 4am.

On Wednesday, Howes denied claims he had grabbed Wagner's purse or had touched her in any way as she walked towards a taxi rank. However he confirmed there had been an argument: "I had a go at her because my wife had been reduced to tears. They had said some truly awful things to her and I wanted to let them know that was very poor behaviour."

But according to the other woman who was with Wagner at the time, Sally Pitt, a senior marketing executive with Giorgio Armani, they had only wanted to "discreetly" alert Wirth to an "unflattering" problem with her clothing they had noticed as she moved about the dance floor.

Wirth issued a statement following PS's inquiries: "The stranger was drunk and abusive, I was insulted and upset and my husband defended me. In the future when treated like this in public, I will make a complaint to the police."

The allegations of drunkenness were strenuously denied by both women involved, both of whom are highly regarded within Sydney's fashion and luxury goods circles and well-versed in image management.

Wagner later withdrew her statement, friends explaining she was concerned what impact any subsequent publicity would have. Police confirmed no further investigations would be conducted following her withdrawal.

PR boss in Opera ball drama with Paul Howes

https://web.archive.org/web/20141018023542/http://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/celebrity/private-sydney/pr-boss-in-opera-ball-drama-with-paul-howes-20141016-116ryi.html
gl