PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 12
View Single Post
Old 15th Oct 2014, 19:10
DozyWannabe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BOAC
- don't Boeings have it too?
The FBW models (777/787) do, but I believe it operates differently. Tdracer's probably the best bet to go into detail there.

Originally Posted by rudderrudderrat
But even you may be persuaded that ALT Law (without protections but with auto trim continuing beyond the stall warning) doesn't have a good record.
"Even" me? Fie, sirrah - I'm just trying to be even-handed and not get carried away. What you say may be true, but I don't have a list of all incidents where Alternate Law was activated to make a call there...

As Bpalmer says in post #773 "G-load demand is a crappy flight control law to be in for stall recover. When the airplane starts to fall ... the airplane's reaction to maintain a neutral-sidestick command of 1.0g is up elevator, followed by nose-up stabilizer. ooops."
From what I've read it's not a straight g-load setup, but I'll defer to those who know better. Your A320 seems to have a safeguard against NU trim when the Stall Warning sounds, and why this isn't the case for the later widebodies is absolutely a question that should be put to Airbus.

However - in a stall recovery scenario (as opposed to the avoidance scenario), there's no way the SS should be neutral - it should be commanding ND in order to effect a recovery.