PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EasyJet - 4
Thread: EasyJet - 4
View Single Post
Old 11th Oct 2014, 09:02
Barling Magna

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes. I think folk on here have it about right. My best guess is that EZY really did intend to increase their base at SEN to maybe six based aircraft over the period 2012-2014 but the situation changed when firstly STN was sold and secondly flyBE's LGW slots became available. Now I think EZY will remain at SEN for the 10 years of its agreement, basing three aircraft there. The situation may change again, of course; long-term planning in the airline industry means 18 months or so into the future in my experience.

SEN is fortunate that all the major investment to reach 2 million pax annually has been put in place. SEN has a perfectly viable catchment in its own right and can draw passengers from London also. EZY cancelled their SEN-Krakow route which was always almost full (don't bother talking about yield versus LF again - I know). It is possible that some other LCC may think that SEN provides an opportunity for profitable operations - let's hope so.

Incidentally, I think the percentage of passengers from London using SEN has been under-estimated. The SEN Annual Report for 2013/2014 shows about a quarter of passengers used the railway to access the airport. I suspect most of these will have travelled from or to London. Add those using the X30 service and their own vehicles and the % should surely be higher than the 20% suggested? Certainly the terminal seems full of London accents whenever I'm there - and, yes, I can tell the difference between a Southend accent and a London one, my dear; sixty years of listening pays off.