PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dublin: 2 x RYR in contact during taxi. Both damaged.
Old 10th Oct 2014, 13:59
Ian W

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by racedo
The retro fitting of cameras to wing tips with cockpit display and recorded as well and fitting where ever else required would be a saving v sending to the repair shop.
I doubt that yet another video display would be useful - an alerting system much like those fitted to cars perhaps even with the add on of automatic application of brakes would be useful.

Far more useful would be sensible design of airports where a few extra square meters of concrete would solve many of these issues.

Signage will always be an issue especially in blowing snow or frost and/or into sun with wet surfaces. It is probable that the new enhanced vision systems could assist with that, but they will bring their own suite of unintended consequences and problems. GPS systems sound good but are not the universal cure, yes we all use them in cars, but I have yet to meet a driver who uses his GPS to keep on the correct side of the road, and its that level of accuracy or better that you would need.

Nothing beats extreme caution and local knowledge which unfortunately are often mutually exclusive.