PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dublin: 2 x RYR in contact during taxi. Both damaged.
Old 10th Oct 2014, 12:16
racedo

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
One of the most difficult parts of any flight I did over 42 years, in seat 0A or 0B, was finding my way to/from the runway from/to the parking stand.

Despite all the ICAO waffle about standard airfield markings, this is still one of the most inadequately managed resources for aircrew to navigate around airfields.

My dream is to take one of those individuals responsible for such signage on a very early morning or late night trip, when they are fatigued in the thorough and scientific way beloved of airline scheduling/commercial departments.
Technology is already there to do that elsewhere and available for £100 or less and used in cars every single day.

Bearing in mind the millions invested in Sat Nav for cars it isn't really that difficult to do same for airports. Hell GPS is used by train companies to ensure that the correct doors are open at each station.

It would then become a mandatory requirement on some of the busiest airports that this is carried and used.