PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Final Report on B737 severe upset and Loss of control by F/O
Old 9th Oct 2014, 13:10
Australopithecus

Received 79 Likes on 36 Posts
High altitude, and more importantly, high mach number, upsets are more critical that the low altitude stuff that you see first as a trainee pilot, and later reinforced in stall training.

Angle of attack is critical at the margins of the envelope, but there seems to be a cognitive gap in the average line pilot's appreciation of the values involved. On my own type there has been a well documented fatal stall "accident", yet no line pilot I have conversed with could guess the stall alpha at FL370, Mach 0.82. (It is 4°, by the way, a number that I could scarcely credit when I first heard it.)

Basic understanding of low and high speed buffet, mach effects and other high speed aerodynamics seem to have fallen out of favour, replaced by the false promise of centre-of-the-envelope optimism. You should always aim for the centre, but train for the region outside of the limits.

Many modern aircraft have a device that displays actual aircraft path relative to the longitudinal and horizontal axes of the aircraft. It is called by different names,(FPV, Bird) but it does display the horizontal drift and the gamma. If you know gamma and theta, you can instantly detect alpha, unless of course you allow gamma to get off the scale, as happened in AF447.

My user name pretty much shouts "dinosaur", but at least we dinosaurs knew that we were in need of help, so we poured over "Handling the Big Jets", "Fly the Wing" and "Aerodynamics for Naval Aviators" to name but three classics.

Finally: the 737 rudder trim knob has caused a crash before this attempt. It is not impossible to grasp it by mistake when groping for the cockpit door switch. The tactile clues inherent in slightly different knobs are obviously insufficient for all users. Time for a relocation of the door lock switch to a position not adjacent to the rudder trim.