PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The vital importance of high altitude stall recovery training in simulators
Old 6th Oct 2014, 20:51
FullWings

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There is only one way to do it when sufficient altitude is available, lower the nose not a little bit, lower it not to a specified amount of degrees below the horizon, but lower it until stall warning ceases = AOA below stall warning AOA (hopefully not like AF447) and speed has been built up enough for recovery maneuver. That is the point im trying to make.
Amen to that, bro’.

Having done some sim high-altitude exercises fairly recently, I think the absolute fidelity of the simulator was secondary to the emphasis on the above.

Hopefully, none of us will ever be in a situation where we have to recover from a low-speed LoC event but exposure to even generic training shows that a) you need to reduce the AoA in a positive and determined way and b) you’re going to lose a *lot* of altitude in the process but this is absolutely required to survive. Whether this is 4,000' or 14,000’ is less relevant - it takes what it takes...

As a someone who came into power flying from gliding, I always found the “old” method of stall recovery rather weird and difficult to get to grips with: now it’s just back to what I always did!