PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The vital importance of high altitude stall recovery training in simulators
Old 5th Oct 2014, 18:48
deefer dog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FAA have in recent years moved away from the demo of stall recovery with minimum height loss, and in my view this is a good decision. So often previously many in the sim would add full thrust, allow the nose to drop a fraction, and upon seeing speed increase would then pull up to reduce the loss of height ....often then hitting the buffet again, or worse stalling. Sometimes they would scrape away to regain the lost height, but in a state that was right on the edge and hardly capable of dealing with the consequences of turbulence that would start the whole scenario again.

I'm brave enough to admit that I did manage to stall a jet aircraft at FL410 once, but thanks to the revised training I was not stupid enough to try and recover with minimum height loss. Instead I used up plenty of the sky that was below me, and at those levels (for those of you who are not stupid enough to make the mistake I made), that is what it does take - especially when stall and over speed are close to each other.