PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A320 Flight control law Landing Mode
View Single Post
Old 3rd Oct 2014, 21:00
Amadis of Gaul

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ReverbSR, one particular area of what I call "Airbus Mythology" is landing mode. Many people misunderstand it, and it doesn't help that the FCOM is a translation from the French, and often times (like in this case) not a very good translation. This statement:

"...At 30 ft this value is progressively reduced to 2degrees nose down to induce a gentle positive action for a conventional flare..." is downright incorrect. It's not that at 30' you "progressively go to 2 deg nose down", it's that at 30' the ELAC start introducing elevator down input at 1/4deg per second UP TO a total of 2deg (so a total of 8 seconds). Not nose-down trim, actual elevator input. So, THAT is what you're counteracting and THAT is what gives you a normal flare feel.

It also bears mentioning that both the FCOM and popular literature make landing a 'Bus a lot more complicated than it is. When I'm landing, I'm not exactly thinking "gee, I wonder what law/mode I might be in", I just look outside and fly the airplane. Works every time.