PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Truss: Aviation Safety Regulation Review
View Single Post
Old 1st Oct 2014, 22:35
Kharon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Robustus Bollocks- Interuptis.

It was my intention to ignore the last (hopefully) missive from McComic; this industry will take a decade to fully recover from the effects of what is probably the worst half decade of mismanagement, micro managed, misbegotten, left handed bastardry seen since Stalin. However, as the doyen of deviates has elected to have a parting shot before departing the fix, I thought I may make a riposte to an unpleasant missive which defines the McComic era.

Firstly, let me make it clear that as previously communicated to you, CASA is seeking means to permit continued safe SAAB 340 operations at Coober Pedy and not to prevent these flights.
Translation: It was perfectly safe before, it is safe now but "we" are going to try to make sure that 'you' can continue your safe operations. This, despite the fact that

[under] the authority a Flight Manual Supplement (FMS) that was developed and approved by the then Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) in 1991.
Translation: It is unfortunate that you were in the past operating quite safely and legally; even more so that you now continue to do so, quite safely and legally but we have to stop you – anyway.

The assessment will include evaluation of aeroplane capabilities and aerodrome facilities. lt should be noted that these approvals frequently impose limitations, an example of which would be a reduced cross wind limit.
Translation: Here's the rub – the tame CASA 'experts' will decide how much crosswind 'they' believe the aircraft can handle; seems to me there are a couple of regulations and some certification data to be wriggled around, but by artificially 'limiting' your operation, with artificial crosswind limits; we can be seen as 'helpful' while stopping your safe, approved, legal operations.

[and] without CASAs legislative package this kind of operation would cease.
Translation: WTF – lets see; CASA approved the operation, CASA issued the instruments, CASA can lodge the ICAO differences; but, CASA now want to blame the regulation of other authorities for the operation ceasing – without CASA 'assistance' to make it all artificially legal again, after they made it artificially illegal – despite it being legal anyway?

[clarifies] that the runway width must be of a homogenous surface material. Coober Pedy's main runway currently consists of an 18m sealed section and 6m gravel shoulders on either side
Translation: So, to all practical intents and purpose; the runway is 30 meters – just not 'homogenous'; the surface is suitable for the purpose of a runway excursion in the rare event a Saab wanders away from the 'sealed' centre, but apart from the PIC being embarrassed by a cloud of dust training behind, no harm is done. Yes 30 meters of bitumen would be nice to have; but a safety case – I doubt it.
Similarly, aircraft certification is based on keeping both landing gear tracks wholly contained on the same surface with the same friction characteristics.
Translation: Disingenuous at best, it may fool a Polly or two, but industry experts – Nah.

The FMS previously approved by the CAA restricts operations on 18m wide runways by application of a 17kt cross wind limitation. However, CASA has identified issues with the basis used to approve this supplement, and intends to withdraw this approval at some time in the future.
Translation: We intend to enforce our decision – no matter what. The simple fact that a generation of pilots have been landing there, without incident for years will not stop the 'withdrawal' due to 'issues', which are not for various reasons cited in the missive. Passing strange – indeed. So, 10 knots forecast – flight departs – 12 knots flight delayed. BOLLOCKS you bloody fool. Absolute Bollocks..

Progressing this matter will need to be done in accordance with CASA's policy as set out in the proposed CAAP 235.
Translation: Finally – a nugget of truth.

I promised myself only one page on this outrageous last, Parthian shot; there is more, much more to said about what is, hopefully, the last time I have to plough through any more of this disingenuous, devious, self serving clap-trap spouted by what is, undoubtedly the worst CASA boss the Murky Machiavellian crew has ever inflicted on a long suffering industry – and that boys and girls, is saying something. We need a Mike Smith, a Billson and a breath of fresh, clear air.

Now bugger off, make it permanent; take your little play mates and cuddly toys with you. We have no need of them.

Toot toot – Houseboat seat 1A is reserved, complimentary, courtesy of the IOS.

Last edited by Kharon; 1st Oct 2014 at 22:42. Reason: That's it (I hope) steam off. A good riddance indeed.