PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Propeller choices for Australia
View Single Post
Old 1st Oct 2014, 13:02
aussie027

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi RatsoreA,

I found this thread rather interesting as I just read an article on MT Propellers and how they made etc in US AOPA magazine just last month.

They talked about how they are made and advantages etc over metal and old style wood props going back to WW2 when wooden props were favoured over metal in many applications and widely used on German fighters and bombers as well as famous allied aircraft etc.

I wrote some more in this post but deleted it as there is a heap of info on their website which you no doubt have read through re construction, installation, advantages etc..

One of the original applications was a 5 blade prop fitted to the PA42-1000 Cheyenne's. They gave 5kt faster cruise, reduced TKOF distances and faster climb rates.

You may want to contact the owner/ operators of VH-BUR which has them fitted, they may be able to assist with some info, the Cheyenne had very little ground clearance (4inches IIRC) with the huge original 4 bladed, 9 feet diameter props, the MT's improved that by a few inches. They may have some experience with stone chips and repairs etc and may be able to offer some additional advice since they changed from original props to MT. Cheers.