PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Truss: Aviation Safety Regulation Review
View Single Post
Old 24th Sep 2014, 23:39
Sarcs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PG rating - Smoke, mirrors & weasel words (MOAS).

This always cracks me up, and is the first thing CASA and the ATSB wheel out in their glossy brochures - as if they were responsible for it!
Good point you make Falling Leaf, it is called the MOAS (mystique of aviation safety) and is the said agencies first line of defence when potentially threatened with any bad press. Just take a look at the PG missive trotted out two days ago when the MSM began asking for responses to the Angel Flight embuggerance...:
No move to shutdown community service flights - CASA

The Civil Aviation Safety Authority rejects claims it is moving to shutdown community service flights.

CASA recognises the importance of community service flights such as Angel Flight to rural and regional Australia.

However, CASA makes no apologies for canvassing issues that relate to the safety of community service flights.

It is CASA’s role to continually look for ways to manage aviation safety in the most effective manner. It is this commitment that has helped to ensure Australia’s proud aviation safety record is maintained and improved.

In the case of community service flights CASA has issued a discussion paper which looks at safety issues relating to these flights and puts forward options for consideration.

Options include taking no action at all, special passenger briefings on community service flights, additional pilot training, a volunteer registration system, an approved self-administering organisation model and operations under an air operator’s certificate.

No decisions have been taken on any of these options and they have been released in order to promote informed discussion.

CASA will carefully consider all submissions in response to the discussion paper before deciding what-if any-further action may be appropriate.
If any changes to the current safety management of community service flights are to be proposed these will be subject to full consultation with all stakeholders.

Currently community service flights are considered to be private flights and the safety rules do not take into account the special characteristics of these operations.

CASA is well aware rural and regional communities benefit from the generous donation of time, expertise and money by all the volunteers and
donors to the community service flight charities.

However, CASA has a duty to ensure all Australians are provided with the most appropriate levels of aviation safety.
Read the community service flight discussion paper.

Media contact:
Peter Gibson
Mobile: 0419 296 446
Email: [email protected]
Ref: MR10614
Still don't know why they even bother?? The IOS seem to be the only ones that know that such missives are just weasel words for the fact that Angel Flight's days are now numbered. What are they trying to protect their integrity, their reputation, they simply don't have any..

These days the industry don't believe any missive coming out of Sleepy Hollow, still I guess PG probably feels the need to protect his corner of the trough..

Here you go Jinglie Hansard for you..:

Mr McCormick : I will just ask Dr Aleck to add a little bit to that.

Dr Aleck : The thrust of much of the discussion this morning has been, fairly enough, on the importance of ensuring an open and frank exchange of information between two agencies. The purpose of that has to be to bring to the attention of one agency or the other the view that maybe you have got something wrong or maybe you need to think about this or maybe this needs to be different. I would be concerned if the product of those exchanges did not from time to time lead to agencies changing their—

CHAIR: I accept that, but I would be concerned if it lead to a jointly agreeable neutral position.

Dr Aleck : I would share that concern, but I do not think that is the case.
And it is at 04:10 :

And the email passages to which the Heff refers are all linked in my post from the Senate thread: Part three – Late entrants to the MoP Stakes

{Comment: Interesting part in the Hansard prior to the Heff person at the back of the room vid......which I think needs further investigation... Perhaps (for the sake of not drifting) not here but on the Senate thread....

Might help explain why the original Norfolk ditching IIC was apparently not referred to by the TSBC (bottom of last Kharon post), nor involved in the ATSB fact check review of the TSBC DRAFT report. Might also help firm up the odds for the MoP stakes..}

MTF...