PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Scavenging a crashed 777: for a book
View Single Post
Old 22nd Sep 2014, 01:54
kenpimentel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: tools
Yes, they must be on the plane. You need the basic tools that will allow you to fabricate more tools. I have researched forging of stainless steel and casting of aluminum. AFAIK, those are the only two metals on the plane. I wish there were some brass/bronze or copper. I guess their must be copper in the "300 miles" of electrical cabling claimed by Boeing. I'll have to calculate what that might work out to be...

re: water power
This island is a real island and they don't have those elevations unfortunately.

re: welding
Awesome! I should have thought of that. I mean even with regular lead-acid batteries you can sort of do the same thing. The problem is that they don't like that kind of discharge. I think/hope NiCADs will handle it better. I thought the big batteries on the plane were lead/acid, so it's good to know they're not.

re: FADEC control alternators
Are these the same as the FADEC EECs? Just want to make sure. If so, I'm told they produce 300W at 2300 RPM (by a forum member). Yes, they need to be pushed through one of the TRUs to get DC.

I didn't realize where they were located. I'll have to talk about how hard they were to retrieve. Perhaps an engine is torn off the plane and more accessible...